- Prospective Students
- Academic Programs
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religious Education
- Master of Arts in Religious Leadership and Administration
- Master of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Master of Professional Studies
- Doctor of Ministry
- Certificate Program in Ministry and Leadership
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- CASAC Program
- Vocational Discernment
- International Students
- Applications & Forms
- Financial Aid
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Awards
- Visit NYTS
- Academic Programs
- Current Students
- Academic Resources
- Contact NYTS
- Give to NYTS
The Riverside Church
Requisition No.: TRC 0137
Job Title: Interim Worship Coordinator
Reports to: Senior Minister
Date: March 2012
Scheduled Work Week: Sunday – Thursday
To coordinate the work of lay people and staff who are responsible for the preparation for and celebration of regular worship services; to develop worship practices that reflect Riverside’s interracial, interdenominational, and international character; to develop collaborative worship planning processes; and to develop and implement strategies for liturgical change at Riverside, with attention to the prophetic, educational, aesthetic, and pastoral dimensions of such change.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Facilitate planning for Sunday, seasonal, and festival services involving clergy, program staff, music staff, staff, and lay members.
- Schedule clergy, program, lay, and youth leadership participation.
- Communicate with various Riverside departments such as Program Services, Building Services, Communications, and Information Technologies concerning worship needs.
- Assist clergy, program staff, music staff, and other worship leaders in the writing of prayers, litanies, etc., and in inclusive language usage.
- Oversee production of the Sunday, seasonal, and festival worship bulletins, working closely with the Senior Minister’s Office, Music Department staff, and Communications Department.
- Staff the Worship Commission, including serving as liaison to the Flower Committee, Communion Committee, and Ushers; and sit on the Music Committee.
- Prepare the Worship budget; administer the Worship budget with the Worship Commission.
- Coordinate the chancel flower schedule.
- Coordinate with Senior Minister’s Office on all invitations to outside preachers to preach in Riverside’s pulpit, including details of travel, housing, and honoraria arrangements as necessary.
- Convene meetings of the Worship and Music Team for planning and evaluation of the Worship and Music Programs; report outcomes of these meetings to Worship Commission.
- Serve as worship director on Sunday mornings; direct rehearsals, oversee chancel set-up, resolve disputes; serve as “point person” for worship leaders, ushers, program and building service personnel, and worship volunteers.
- Provide educational opportunities for clergy, program staff, music staff, and lay members to reflect upon and evaluate theological, cultural, and performance aspects of worship, festival, and sacramental practices.
- Oversee maintenance of vestments, chancel furnishings, and vessels.
- Develop a library of worship resources to be available to all planners of worship.
- Collaborate with and support Riverside’s education programs which have to do with worship; provide resources for program events which have a liturgical component.
- Provide opportunities for performance coaching to lay worship leaders.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Membership and ordination in a denomination which is a member of the National Council of Churches.
- Master’s degree (M.Div. preferred) or comparable education
- Coursework in liturgy
- Understanding of diverse denominational worship practices
- Experience in planning and leading worship as a part of a team
- A clear understanding of the theology and values of the Riverside Church and its commitment to faith development and social justice, and a willingness to work with the church to achieve its ministry.
- Experience in working with clergy and lay people, preferably in a congregation with a multi-cultural membership and a staff with ethnic diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other ministries and staff.
- Proven understanding of the dynamics of staff relationships, implementing change, strategic planning and conflict resolution.
- Experience in administration, developing budgets, controlling expenditures and supervising staff
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of The Riverside Church.
- Ability to behave within the Staff Vision of The Riverside Church- “Love is our Aim and Mutual Respect our Pathway”.
Forward to firstname.lastname@example.org