- Prospective Students
- Academic Programs
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religious Education
- Master of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Master of Arts in Religious Leadership and Administration
- Master of Professional Studies
- Doctor of Ministry
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Certificate in Christian Ministry
- Certificate Program in Islamic Studies
- Certificate Program in Ministry and Leadership
- Certificate Program in Convergence Studies
- Vocational Discernment
- International Students
- Applications & Forms
- Financial Aid
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Awards
- Visit NYTS
- Academic Programs
- Current Students
- Academic Resources
- Contact NYTS
- Give to NYTS
The World Student Christian Federation (WSCF) and the Student Christian Movement- USA (SCM-USA) seek a dynamic, energetic organizer for the Student Christian Movement (USA), a progressive and social justice US national ecumenical movement.
Work location: Anywhere in the US, with a preference for New York City
The WSCF and SCM are building a national movement of progressive Christian students and young adults who engage in the work of peace, justice and global action, following Jesus’ call to bring good news to the poor, proclaim release of the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free and to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. (Luke 4:18) The WSCF, through the SCM-USA, seeks to build local networks of engaged students on campuses and communities and provide opportunities for leadership training, Biblical and theological reflection, ecumenical engagement, mutual support and global action. The SCM is a member of the WSCF which includes over one million members in 90 countries around the world.
The SCM-USA National Organizer will be responsible to
- Plan the 2015 annual national Leadership Training Program to be held in the spring of 2015, which will include
- Staff the Leadership Training Program’s PrepCom
- Find, finalize and prepare conference location and venue and communicate with its staff
- Connect current SCM groups and individuals in planning the national event
- Develop conference program
- Recruit participants
- Prepare conference materials
- Design and implement web-based publicity and communication, including work on a database and website.
- Help with fundraising
- Help implement and execute programmatic decisions by SCM-USA advisory board, WSCF North America Regional Committee and other SCM groups, including local activities and other regional or national programs
- Facilitate the formation of new local chapters of the Student Christian Movement USA
- Administer local seed grants disbursed to SCM chapters
- Provide communication and support to the World Student Christian Federation, including the US Trustees of the WSCF and help connect US students to WSCF global events
- Stimulate and facilitate the articulation of global analysis and theology for US students, as well as the development of new strategies aimed at making the SCM’s work more effective and relevant at local, national and global levels
- Research and write grant proposals and help in fundraising strategies in conjunction with WSCF North America Regional Secretary, SCM-USA advisory board and the WSCF US Trustees.
- Help maintain and expand SCM/WSCF website, social media and database
- Help Regional Secretary with administration of national office
- Passion for empowering students and encouraging leadership
- A good grasp of the SCM’s ministry and “raison d’être”
- Understanding of the political and theological orientation of the movement, including its social-justice work
- Experience or exposure to the SCM’s work on a national or regional level and/or experience in an organization with similar objectives
- Adequate understanding of the Christian Churches in the US; appreciation of the wider ecumenical movement in the US and internationally is an asset.
- Ability to interpret the work and vision of the SCM to churches and ecumenical bodies and relevant organizations
- Commitment to working in an social-justice framework
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Inter-faith experience is an asset.
The conference organizer will be supervised by the WSCF North America Regional Secretary, Luciano Kovacs, located at 475 Riverside Drive, New York City, and supported by SCM members and alumni. Salary is $20/hour for an average of 18 hours a week. No benefits. Position begins immediately for a 12 month contract with the possibility of renewal and expansion of position.
The successful candidate will have the vision, passion and skills to help nurture the emergence of an ecumenical student Christian movement in the US; be committed to peace, social, economic and gender justice; and desire to work as part of an international community. SCM-USA is LGBTQ affirming.
Deadlines for applications June 20. Estimated starting date for position, July 15. Please submit cover letter, cv and contacts for three references and a short essay on your vision for a social justice, student-led grassroots ecumenical movement . For more information, contact Luciano Kovacs, email@example.com