- Prospective Students
- Academic Programs
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religious Education
- Master of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Master of Arts in Religious Leadership and Administration
- Master of Professional Studies
- Doctor of Ministry
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Certificate in Christian Ministry
- Certificate Program in Islamic Studies
- Certificate Program in Ministry and Leadership
- Certificate Program in Convergence Studies
- Certificate Program in Radical Inclusion Studies
- Vocational Discernment
- International Students
- Applications & Forms
- Financial Aid
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Awards
- Visit NYTS
- Academic Programs
- Current Students
- Academic Resources
- Contact NYTS
- Give to NYTS
Saturdays, June 4, 11, 18, 25, 2016
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Riverside Church – Room 421
91 Claremont Ave
New York, NY 10027
Contact Lucy Cano at 212-870-1236 no later than May 30, 2016.
Writing for Theology is an intensive writing course designed to give training in the fundamentals of expository and argumentative writing. The main emphasis is on giving students practice in organizing ideas into coherently structured and effective essays, using as a focal point their own unique experiences. Students are encouraged to look deeply into these experiences and to see them from shifting points of view.
In the course, writing is viewed as a means of communication as well as a means of inquiry, a way of thinking. To this end, the course focuses on analyzing the organizational patterns of various modes of writing and of paragraphs in relation to their development of entire essays. Problem-solving strategies for writing and concepts of critical thinking are explored. In addition to an examination of the four basic forms of writing, the research procedure and exegetical approaches are introduced. A study of grammar is incorporated into the study of writing, based on the needs of the students enrolled.
Download the Flyer/Registration Form HERE.
This course is open to the general public.
- A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Thesis and Dissertations, 6th Ed. By Kate L. Turabian, Chicago:Univesity of Chicago Press. ISBN#0-226-81627-3
- The Least You Should Know About English, Writing Skills Form B, Tenth Ed. By Lyn Uhl Publishers. ISBN-10: 1-4282-3079-3. ISBN-13: 978-1-4282-3079-8
- The American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd Ed. (paperback) By Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Inc. ISBN#0-440-21861-6