- Prospective Students
- Degree Programs
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religious Education
- Master of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Master of Arts in Religious Leadership and Administration
- Master of Professional Studies
- Doctor of Ministry
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Certificate in Christian Ministry
- Vocational Discernment
- International Students
- Applications & Forms
- Financial Aid
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Awards
- Visit NYTS
- Degree Programs
- Current Students
- Academic Resources
- Contact NYTS
- Give to NYTS
Mission & Vision
New York Theological Seminary is a diverse and inclusive community of learning grounded in biblical witness and Christian tradition, with a historic urban focus. The Seminary prepares women and men for faith-based ministries in the city and throughout the world.
- NYTS is diverse and inclusive; it is evangelical, ecumenical, and increasingly multifaith
- NYTS is a rigorously intellectual community of learning with a commitment to academic excellence
- Grounded in the biblical witness, NYTS continues the heritage of Biblical Seminary in New York
- Led by the Spirit in response to the call of Jesus Christ, NYTS is faithful to the Christian tradition as it grows to serve the broader religious world
- NYTS educates leaders whose ministries are relevant to the life and work of the global urban world.
Graduates of NYTS from all programs will be able to demonstrate:
- competence in biblical and theological reflection that is faithful to one’s own tradition, dynamic in its articulation, and relevant to contemporary intercultural and multifaith contexts
- the ability to identify, design, and put into practice diverse and inclusive models of ministry to achieve personal, ecclesial and social transformation and reconciliation
- the ability to engage in critical reflection that fosters spiritual formation and renewal of individuals, faith-based communities, cities and the world.
“Re-envisioning theological education in the 21st Century”
New York Theological Seminary (NYTS) will remain true to its historic commitment to providing theological education that is both relevant to the needs of practical ministry and accessible to women and men called by God. Continuing the tradition of Biblical Seminary in New York, NYTS will ground its curriculum and life in the Bible. It will continue to engage the city as its primary campus, taking theological education in new directions for urban ministry. At the same time, the Seminary will expand its horizons globally to meet the needs of an increasingly global church.
The vision of NYTS will continue a commitment to radical inclusion and passionate transformation. The Seminary will embrace increasingly diverse constituencies and communities, while challenging them to achieve a greater degree of love and justice in the world. It will foster among students, faculty, alumni/ae, and the wider religious community a greater degree of personal, professional and academic excellence. To accomplish these tasks over the next five years, NYTS will increase current enrollment; add innovative and responsive new programs; and continue to develop strategic relationships with other institutions, churches and individual partners. It will achieve a new level of institutional development that will assure long-term financial sustainability.
The Seminary is guided in these efforts by the Christian vision of a city that is to come, in which the glory of God is made manifest to all and through all.