- Prospective Students
- Degree Programs
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Care & Counseling
- Master of Arts in Religious Education
- Master of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Master of Arts in Religious Leadership and Administration
- Master of Professional Studies
- Doctor of Ministry
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Certificate in Christian Ministry
- Vocational Discernment
- International Students
- Applications & Forms
- Financial Aid
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Awards
- Visit NYTS
- Degree Programs
- Current Students
- Academic Resources
- Contact NYTS
- Give to NYTS
New York Theological Seminary welcomes applications from international students. Please see the Application & Forms page under Prospective Students. The application requirements for international students do not differ from those of other applicants. You must supply certified translations of all documents if they are not in English.
Requesting a Form I-20 or DS-2019
International Students admitted into a full-time academic Masters degree program at New York Theological Seminary must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to enter and/or reenter the U.S. in F-1 student status. This applies to new students and transfer students from other U.S. institutions. The Certificate of Eligibility, or Form I-20/DS-2019, is a government document issued by a U.S. institution, allowing the student to apply for an F-1, to enter or re-enter the U.S. to pursue an academic program and receive other immigration benefits. A new form I-20/DS-2019 is issued to the student each time if there is a change to the student’s academic program, education level, financial sponsor, or when a work authorization is granted. To request a form I-20/ DS-2019, please read the following instructions carefully:
- Complete an Application for Certificate of Eligibility (Please view under category Form I-20)
- Masters – M.A.R.E. (Religious Education), M.A.P.C.C. (Pastoral Care and Counseling), and M.Div.
- Doctor – Korean Residential Program Only
- Affidavit support documentations – This is to verify your financial situation. You must verify sufficient amount, depending on the number of dependents.
- Self – it is usually shown with a bank statement
- Sponsorship – if you are supported by a family member, a church organization, or other institute, you must verify it with a bank statement/financial statement along with the certification letter with notary or family Certificate
- All documents have to be in English and original.
- Once you submit 1 and 2, international office will send you an I-20 form
- Once you receive the I-20, you will pay the SEVIS fee (I-901) with SEVIS number (https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/students/formSelection.htm)
- Make an appointment at the nearest U.S. consulate. Please find the details about applying for a visa stamp.
- Enter the U.S. and come to New York Theological Seminary
- Bring the copies of passport, visa stamp, and Form I-94
- Bring the Form I-20 (stamped), a proof of current address, and the U.S. contact information
If you are a transferring student, please complete steps 1 and 2 as well as the I-20 transfer request form. You must process their SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 within 15 days from the start of classes. You also need to bring all the documents on step number 4.
International Student Funding
As a requirement of I-20 application for a student visa, international students must demonstrate they have sufficient funds to meet the costs of tuition, fees, and living expenses for themselves and all dependents for 1 year. International students are ineligible for scholarship aid. However, after they complete the first year international students are eligible for school based scholarship. NYTS encourages completing the procedure by filling out the application. (There is a separate application for international students.)