Master of Divinity Degree (M.Div. Program)
Number of Credits: 72
Offered Hybrid and Fully Online
The Master of Divinity Degree, both in our hybrid flex and fully online format, seeks to “prepare faith and thought leaders to engage relevant, restorative and revolutionary ministry.” The MDiv Program envisions opportunities for “a diverse and inclusive community of learners” and provides “resources, tools and strategies for effective leadership.” The MDiv is the standard degree required by many denominations for professional ministry in the US and Canada. Graduates of the MDiv will “engage in prophetic and transformative ministry” with training in the broad range of theological disciplines, including Biblical Studies, Christian Thought and Tradition, and the Arts of Ministry. MDiv coursework integrates theory with practice, reflection with action, and takes the urban context seriously. During MDiv study, students participate in field placements in order to put their education into practice. An MDiv degree from NYTS will prepare you to effectively lead and care for congregations and faith communities, especially in the urban context as well as global settings.
- Religious Leader for Nonprofits
The Master of Divinity degree program is open to women and men who:
- possess a BA, BS, or equivalent undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college (applicants holding degrees or diplomas from another country may be required to provide a translated copy and to provide further information to help the admissions committee determine equivalency).
- demonstrate evidence of an ability to do graduate-level study, primarily assessed through the written answers to the application essay questions and through recommendations.
- are able to articulate an understanding of their call to ministry in a manner that is appropriate to their own experience and faith tradition.
- belong to a community of faith or have a specific ministry setting in which the applicant exercises responsibility.