New York Theological Seminary welcomes applications from international students. Please see the Application & Forms page under Prospective Students. The application requirements for international students do not differ from those of other applicants. You must supply certified translations of all documents if they are not in English.
Requesting a Form I-20
International Students admitted into a full-time academic Masters degree program at New York Theological Seminary must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to enter and/or reenter the U.S. in F-1 student status. This applies to new students and transfer students from other U.S. institutions. The Certificate of Eligibility, or Form I-20, is a government document issued by a U.S. institution, allowing the student to apply for an F-1, to enter or re-enter the U.S. to pursue an academic program and receive other immigration benefits. A new form I-20 is issued to the student each time if there is a change to the student’s academic program, education level, financial sponsor, or when a work authorization is granted. To request a form I-20, please read the following instructions carefully:
- Complete an Application for Certificate of Eligibility (Please view under category Form I-20)
- Masters – MAs (MARE, MAPCC, MARLA, MAYM) and MDiv
- Doctor – Korean Residential Program Only
- Affidavit support documentations – This is to verify your financial situation. You must verify sufficient amount, depending on the number of dependents.
- Self – it is usually shown with a bank statement
- Sponsorship – if you are supported by a family member, a church organization, or other institute, you must verify it with a bank statement/financial statement along with the certification letter with notary or family Certificate
- All documents have to be in English and original.
- Once you submit 1 and 2, international office will send you an I-20 form (Based on acceptance to the program)
- Once you receive the I-20, you will pay the SEVIS fee (I-901) with SEVIS number (https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/students/formSelection.htm)
- Make a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy by preparing all the required documents.
- Enter the U.S. and come to New York Theological Seminary (You are allowed to enter the US within 30 days before the program starts)
- Bring the copies of passport, visa stamp, and Form I-94
- Bring the Form I-20, a proof of current address, and U.S. contact information along with proof of current address
If you are a transferring student, please complete steps 1 and 2 as well as the I-20 transfer request form. You must process their SEVIS I-20 within 15 days from the start of classes. You also need to bring all the documents on step number 4. For additional information, please visit https://visaguide.world/us-visa/nonimmigrant/study-exchange-visas/f1/.
International Student Funding
As a requirement of I-20 application for a student visa, international students must demonstrate they have sufficient funds to meet the costs of tuition, fees, and living expenses for themselves and all dependents for 1 year. International students are ineligible for scholarship aid. However, after they complete the first year international students are eligible for school based scholarship. NYTS encourages completing the procedure by filling out the application.
- I-20 Application Form
- I-20 Transfer Request Form (if transferred from another the institution in the U.S.)